1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  | Personal Injury FAQs

Personal Injury FAQs

Q: I have paid insurance premiums all of these years, why do I need a lawyer to get me what I deserve to be compensated?

A: Unfortunately, today’s insurance climate means that many insurers will attempt to pay the minimum pay-out or benefits they can rather than provide what is rightfully owed to the claimant. More and more often, an insurance company will only pay you what you properly deserve with the help of an experienced lawyer.

Q: If I or someone I know is involved in a car accident, what do I do?

A: Many things need to be done in the event of any accident, but there are three immediate things that need to be done.

  • Seek medical attention. Obviously, after any accident it is imperative that you seek proper treatment and diagnosis of your injuries. If you don’t go to the hospital right way, make sure you see your doctor as quickly as possible to get the treatment needed. Even if you feel ok, it is important to get checked and have your doctor make a note of what happened. This ensures that there isn’t a missed health problem and that the nature of your injuries are documented for future reference. As strange as it sounds, photographs of your injury can prove to be very helpful too.
  • Report it! Make sure there is an incident report or police record of the accident outlining the details of the accident, date, time, witnesses, what happened etc. This information needs to be documented for future reference. Where possible, take photographs of the scene of the accident or slip and fall.
  • Provide notice. If you are involved in a car, property or other accident, it is imperative that you provide notice of the accident to your insurance company and the parties involved. It is best to provide notice as soon as possible as there are time limits. For example, for an incident on city sidewalks or city property, notice must be provided within 10 days of the incident.

Where possible, consult a lawyer immediately. The days following an accident are usually very stressful and upsetting but it is important to look after yourself, get proper medical treatment and get informed. Getting good advice and knowing what needs to be done protects your future rights and alleviates unnecessary stress.

Q: The insurance company has called, what should I do?

A: Insurance companies will often contact you upon learning of your accident to get information and take a signed statement from you. Insurance company representatives are often friendly but remember that they work for the insurance company. By dealing solely with an insurance company representative you could be at a great disadvantage.

Before you speak to the insurance company, know your rights and the benefits you are entitled to receive. We provide free consultations to ensure you are fully informed so that your interests are protected. Call us 877-394-0741 or email.

Q: I thought I was OK after my accident, but now I am in pain, what should I do?

A: While it is best to contact a lawyer soon after suffering an injury, you should contact a lawyer even if it has been some time since the accident.

Q: How long do I have to start my claim?

A: There is generally a limitation period of two years following the date of the accident to start a lawsuit. However, it is best to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

Q: II cannot return to work as a result of my accident. What should I do?

A: By consulting a lawyer with expertise in the area of personal injury, you will be informed of the different coverage options available to you for income protection such as income replacement benefits and disability benefits.

Q: My insurance company terminated my benefits, what should I do?

A: Contact your lawyer at once or talk to one if you haven’t already. Insurance companies often terminate benefits for eligible claimants.

Q: I’m not happy with my present paralegal, what should I do?

A: Personal Injury Law is highly specialized and requires extensive experience and training. While there are a few paralegals who have worked as insurance adjusters, paralegals are not governed by the same standards as lawyers. Given the complexities of motor vehicle compensation today, it is best to consult a law firm that specializes in personal injury law.

Whatever you do, make sure you have all the information you need to make a good decision for yourself, your family and your future. If you have questions or would like further information, please contact us. 877-394-0741 or email.

201 City Centre Drive
Suite 300
Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4

Mississauga Law Office Map
get in touch with our lawyers
get in touch with our lawyers
Contact Us Today